Monday, July 21, 2008

The Doctrines of Grace and The Regular Guy - pt 1 - Introduction

I am a regular guy. And I mean that in every sense. I like football (go Steelers!), ultimate fighting, and red meat. I have an inordinate obsession with the remote control that is commensurate with others that tote the Y chromosome. (By way of full disclosure, I should say that it may be a little bit more out of balance in me than some. You see, I don't just like the remote control; as soon as I get a new remote control in my hand, whether it is mine or someone else's, I must immediately acclimate my fingers to it so that I can operate it by touch. I know, that's weird, but what can I do? I love the remote.) I don't like Bed and Breakfasts (more can be said on that, but I'll leave it alone). I do like watching TV with my wife, but (and don't tell her this) most of the time I'd rather watch a sit-com than HGTV or TLC. I'm bald, but I really don't mind, because when I consider the energy that women have to expend just to do their hair in the morning--no thank you!

And that's just the "guy" part of the "regular guy" statement. As far as regular goes, they don't get much more non-descript. Some might even say that I have the typical "baby of the family" syndrome. My brother was noteworthy in almost everything he did. He was an excellent swimmer, Homecoming King in high school, voted best looking in his class, and even now as he nears the twighlight of his 30's, he has achieved All-American status in the amateur triathlon rankings. Me? I finished first in my age-group at the Western Days 5K and Fun Run two years ago! Impressed? Don't be--I also finished last in my age-group. Nobody else in my age-group entered (It was still pretty cool to get the medal at the awards ceremony). Don't get me wrong. This isn't a pitty party. I like being a regular guy. I have long since come to terms with the fact that I'm pretty average. I know that I won't be an All-American triathlete, or write the Great American novel, or break a 3-hour marathon. I'm comfortable with the fact that I'll have to live to be 112 to shoot my age in golf, and pretty confident that by then I won't care. In truth, I don't really care right now--I mean seriously, who shoots 112 and stays awake at night worrying about it?! Not me. I've got other things to worry about, like how to operate the satellite remote and the surround sound remote with just one hand. Let's face it. I'm a regular guy, and I'm comfortable with it.

It's with that in mind that I begin a series of posts on the Doctines of Grace. Because I am a regular guy and not a theologian, the question on the table will not be, "Are the doctrines of grace true and scripturally supported?" If you are interested in that question I will refer you to smarter people than myself, like Sam Storms and John Piper. But if you are anything like me, your objections to the doctrines of grace most likely center around two thoughts. 1) "I don't want to believe the docrines of grace because I don't want to believe that God is like that (specifically with regard to predestination)" or 2) "I don't want to believe in the doctrines of grace because I don't see what difference it makes. After all, once I am saved, what difference does it make if God predestined me for salvation, or if I exercised free will to choose Him?" It is on this second objection that I will focus in the coming days as we explore the doctrines of grace from the perspective of the regular guy.

Starting next time.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: