Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Update and No Fear

For those of you that are keeping up with our transition to Texas, I've been trying to keep the new information at the top of each blog post so that you don't have to wade through my devotional meanderings to find out where in the world are the Websters. Here's the skinny for today. As you may know, my warmest job lead went ice cold yesterday when the company decided to pursue someone with more sales experience. The nerve! Ah well, back to square one. So the rest of the day yesterday and the majority of this morning was spent heating up the phone lines again to scare up some leads. About lunch time I hopped in the CRV and headed down to Big D with some possibilities and a lot of prayer. I dropped one résumé off at a church that needs a Business Administrator, and then I dropped in at the NACBA (that's the National Association of Church BA's) office that is headquartered in Richardson, just North of Dallas. I picked up one possible contact there, and I'll try to track it down with the rest of my warm leads tomorrow. I'll post the progress as it comes. Many people are a tremendous source of encouragement to me in this process, but I want to make special mention of Cheryl, my wife who is full of faith and encouragement. She never seems to waiver, while I seem to be waivering moment by moment. I am convinced that the Lord will faithfully provide to the praise of His glory; however, sometimes it is difficult to get my feelings to catch up. Our house has some warm leads as well. Nothing concrete, but there is some activity. If you are praying specifically, please keep these two requests in mind. Thank you.

Now for one quick devotional thought from John 15-21. I read most of this while I was in the car on the way down here. I know, not safe. But it was the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of Oklahoma. A car wreck would have been a welcome break from the monotony. At any rate, I can read while I drive, and I can blog while I drive, but I can't read and blog while I drive with any coherency. Nor can I take notes with any efficiency. So I'm just going to have to leave it to a simple thought.

You may be aware that these chapters represent the last hours of Jesus' life through his resurrection. Included in this is the greatest injustice and the worst trial and sentencing in the history of man. All of these, of course, were inflicted on our Savior for our good (Hebrews 12:3). The thought that struck me from a couple of verses in this passage was that Jesus faced all of this with an utter lack of fear of man. Consider this progression.
  • John 15:18-20, "18 If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20Remember the word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you." Jesus rightly describes the hatred that the world has for the embodiment of the Rigtheousness of God, and He correctly predicts his suffering. But the tenor of the passage is not fear or dread or complaining or even pity-mongering. Amazingly it is assurance and encouragement. "The world hates me and is going to kill me. They'll do the same to you. Be encouraged." No fear of man there. In fact the exact opposite, an encouragement to not fear man. The encouragement concludes in the first part of chapter 16, "1"I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God. 3And they will do these things because they have not known the Father, nor me. 4But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you." Praise Him.
  • Jesus continues to teach and pray in the same setting until chapter 18 when they change locations to the Garden of Gethsemane. The remarkable scene is described this way, "1When Jesus had spoken these words, he went out with his disciples across the Kidron Valley, where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered. 2Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, for Jesus often met there with his disciples. 3 So Judas, having procured a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons. 4Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek?" 5They answered him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I am he." Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. 6 When Jesus said to them, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground." Again, Scripture is clear. Jesus was fully aware of all that would happen to Him. More than that, He had embraced His redemption mission. Without waiting for the betrayer's band of soldiers to press the procedings, Jesus approached them and seemingly leads them through His arrest. It is obvious that He could have overpowered them with a word, yet instead He offered Himself to them.
  • When Jesus is brought before Annas, the High Priest's father-in-law (Oy, I could spend a while on this guy, but I am reminded that my sins condemned the Savior as much as his) he is asked a ludicrous question. Even though it is in the middle of the night in front of a kangaroo court, Jesus answers boldly, "I have spoken openly to the world. I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together. I have said nothing in secret. 21Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me what I said to them; they know what I said." No fear for the scoundrel High Priest (who was not, in fact, the actual High Priest) or his paid muscle that inflicts the first unjust blow. He is so taken back with the Lord's lack of fear that he intones, "Is that how you answer the high priest?" Again Jesus, without a hint of fear, responds, "If what I said is wrong, bear witness about the wrong; but if what I said is right, why do you strike me?"
  • You may ask, "Yeah, but Web, what about when He is praying in the Garden? Isn't there fear there? After all, what was all that sorrow and sweating drops of blood?" Perhaps it is fear, but I would submit that if it is, it is fear of the wrath of the Lord. Remember His prayer? "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." Never in all of the proceedings did He ever exhibit fear towards man. Grace, yes. Truth, yes. Love, always. Fear--absolutely not.

The conclusion? Remember the Lord's words from Luke 12:4-7, "4"I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. 6Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

Don't miss the great encouragement and strength that comes from this perspective! Jesus says, "I will show you whom you should fear." We don't have to fear man. All he can do is kill the body. Yet in the fear of God there is great comfort. I am not forgotten by God. All of the hairs of my head are numbered. Okay, maybe that is a bad example. Nonetheless, I am loved and provided for by a great, fearsome, awesome God. That's great news!

Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Webster Family....as I have told you for quite some time....you all are very special to me & I will keep you in my prayers.....as you say & Web as you taught me "GOD IS FAITHFUL"!!!