Thursday, November 15, 2007

Update and Quick Post

A quick post while I'm having a bowl of soup at Panera. Several have called and asked how the job hunt is going, and we've had many, many people encourage us that they are praying for me while I'm down here looking for a job. I am so grateful for the friends that we have; no, they are more than that. They are the body of Christ, the family of God to me. And I am more than grateful; I am dependent. There is no way that we could make it through this without them.

I am more convinced now than ever that the church, the body of Christ, is the most amazing organism in the world. The expressions that we have seen through this are remarkable. Beyond the phone calls and the words of encouragement, we are existing (quite literally) on the body of Christ. The bowl of soup that I just ate was paid for with a $50 Panera Bread gift card that was given to us by friends. I've been eating lunch on it all week (I love Panera Bread!). The people that are hosting me are wonderful, warm and hospitable. Amazingly, they seem to be fulfilled by expressing their hospitality to the body of Christ. I'd like to think that it is something about my warm and charming personality that makes them so happy to have me, but quite honestly, I think they would be just as happy to host a surly cuss like Brian Donnelly. We've had a couple of house issues since I left town--plumbing, electrical, and drywall. Several people have graciously helped us to resolve all of those (plus, Cheryl puts me to shame with how hard she works on that house). Truly the Body of Christ is amazing! And I don't mean in any way to slight the e-mails, phone calls, voice mails, text messages, and face-to-face words of encouragement that seem to come hourly. The Lord must know that I am feeble, and I need the wind of encouragement in my sails.

This is a good time to tack a Scripture on this and keep it consistent with the devotional/teaching tenor of this blog. As you may know, I've been thick in the writings of the beloved Apostle, and it is remarkable how real his writings become when you experience something like this. When I read things like John 13:34-35 (34 A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.) in a time like this, I have names to attach to it.

I am truly grateful, and I pray that this type of love abides in me too.

By way of an update...I have two potential job opportunities that surfaced yesterday. Either one would be a decent option. One has more earning potential, but it is all the way in downtown Dallas. The other is closer, but it is contract accounting work, so it wouldn't be a permanent position. I should know more on it by the weekend. Please keep that in your prayers.

That's all for now. More on the writings of John at another time.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: